There is really only one thing that has been a disappointment to me since I moved to Clyde River. I love walking and hiking and was looking forward to exploring the area on foot. However, I found out pretty quickly that I couldn't do that. On one of my first days here, I walked to the airport and was excited to see lots of trails in the hills outside of town. I was told by a number of local people that I shouldn't leave town this time of year because this is when the polar bears come close. Apparently, they also wander into town on a regular basis. I was also advised that it would be ok for me to walk around if I got a rifle. I knew there was something I forgot to pack. So, I have to be content to walk Reba around town.
Speaking of Reba, my whimpy little dog who refuses to go out on the step if it is wet seems to have heard the call of the wild. We get followed by a friendly little pack of dogs and Reba plays top dog, nipping the other ones if they try to walk ahead of her. So, I was feeling very relaxed about this whole situation until Reba slipped out of her collar one day while she was playing with the husky pup next door. Unfortunately this was also the day that a large, mean dog was loose in the neighbourhood. To make a long story short, the encounter between them was unpleasant. After I searched for an hour with the help of the local kids, Reba arrived home much the worse for wear. Some bites and a pronounced limp. Anyway, all was well within a week and lessons learned for both of us. The kids love Reba. Every time I leave the house with her I hear "DeborahReba! DeborahReba! and they all come running and take turns walking her on the leash. The cats have been quite a curiosity to the kids. I often find kids lined up looking in the window. Every now and then I drag poor long-suffering Buddy out on the step for them to hold. Thankfully, Buddy loves kids. One little girl's first word when she petted Buddy's long, black hair was "mittens!".
We had the odd bear hanging out on the edge of town when I was in Broughton Island...quite the experience for sure.
ReplyDelete