It is just after 4PM and it is totally dark outside. It started to get dark around 2:30. I took this picture at the outside school door at 2:30 this afternoon.
I am writing in my classroom and putting off the inevitable piling on of clothes and waddling out the door. This part of arctic living I don't like. There is a windchill of -26 today and blowing snow, so I really need to have everything covered well. It seems to take forever to get dressed and out the door. I will have to develop some patience about this as it will be a large part of my life until April or so. We had another blizzard/school cancellation day on Thursday. This is what it looked when I opened the door in the morning on Thursday.
A cat's view of the blizzard

Friday was Halloween, and what a great celebration it is here! The trick or treating is held between 5 and 7 and then there is a celebration at the community hall. So, at exactly 5 the community sprang to life - there were skidoos everywhere. The kids were piled on long sleighs that were pulled behind the snowmobiles. A rather unsettling juxtaposition of Christmas and Halloween. People of all ages go trick or treating.The costumes were great, very innovative and lots of homemade masks and face paint. Everyone was clearly having a blast. I had over 300 people come to my door. It was so busy that I just got dressed for the outside and stood on the porch. Then at 7, the sound of skidoos faded away and the community was silent. It was the most fun I had at Halloween for years.


A cat's view of the blizzard
Friday was Halloween, and what a great celebration it is here! The trick or treating is held between 5 and 7 and then there is a celebration at the community hall. So, at exactly 5 the community sprang to life - there were skidoos everywhere. The kids were piled on long sleighs that were pulled behind the snowmobiles. A rather unsettling juxtaposition of Christmas and Halloween. People of all ages go trick or treating.The costumes were great, very innovative and lots of homemade masks and face paint. Everyone was clearly having a blast. I had over 300 people come to my door. It was so busy that I just got dressed for the outside and stood on the porch. Then at 7, the sound of skidoos faded away and the community was silent. It was the most fun I had at Halloween for years.
No comments:
Post a Comment