What a busy time lately! Our graduation was held on November 28. Although (or maybe because) we only had four graduates, this event was of huge importance in the school and in the community. Decorating the gym was a whole-school activity and the result was so beautiful. I was amazed at the amount of time and effort the kids were willing to put into this. My classroom was the center of activity for making decorations. This was really fun for me because I got to know so many of the other kids that I don't teach. All the classes contributed to the effort. On the night of the graduation, I did grad photos before the ceremony started. Here are our grads posing with superintendent of schools Hughie Butt. The stoles they are wearing over their gowns are made of tanned seal skin with a polar bear insert. They were made this year by the principal's mother.

After the grads arrived in the gym, the ceremony began with the lighting of the
quilliq, a traditional lamp fueled by seal oil. The
quilliq is lit by an elder and then each student lights their candle from it. This is symbolic of elders passing on wisdom to youth.

Then there were the usual speeches and
acknowledgements and two grads shared a
bilingual (Inuktitut and English) valedictory speech.

My Favourite part came towards the end of the ceremony. It is the tradition at graduation here that grads go into the audience and hand out roses to the people they want to thank for helping them through their years of schooling. It was a joyful and tearful time as family members, friends and teachers were recognized with roses.

After the ceremony, the graduates cut a cake that was baked at the local hotel and decorated by one of the teachers.

In other news, this is the last week of classes before Christmas break. Next week is another busy week. On Monday the school staff is cooking Christmas dinner for the students. We will all be cooking turkeys at home this weekend as part of the effort. The Christmas concert is on Wednesday evening with rehearsals during the day. Teachers who are leaving are getting very excited to go home or on vacation in the sun. I was expecting food mail yesterday but the plane had mechanical problems and had to turn back to Iqaluit. I expect that my vegetables will be as frozen as the turky by the time it gets here.
It's nice to see your students graduate, and sometimes I wonder who is most proud - the teachers, the family or the student.
ReplyDeleteBTW Your Live Feeder will tell you that I'm from a town in central Sweden. I'm not. I live in Arjeplog, a mere 50+km south of the Arctic Circle.
NIce pics Deborah... brings back many wonderful memories... I taught Christine and Jerry.
ReplyDeleteJerry was in the very first high school class in CR.
Don