Sunday, March 29, 2009

Arctic Spring

This is what I have been looking forward to since I got here, and I am not disappointed. It is so beautiful here now. It seems to be sunny all the time and the days are rapidly getting longer as we head towards 24 hour daylight. The weekend walks were glorious. We did the usual walk toward the airport and back and ventured out on the sea ice. We plan more sea ice walking next weekend. The temperatures are really starting to rise. The forecast this week features temperatures like minus 12! This weekend I had windows open for the first time and and I noticed some water dripping off the roof. The sun feels warm and in places the snow feels softer. Lots of spring activities coming up in the school and community.
Wednesday is Nunavut's 10th birthday. For readers from other countries who may not know, Nunavut was carved out of a larger Canadian territory on April 1, 1999. The school will be joining village celebrations at a nearby lake on Wednesday. We will all be picked up in sleds and driven out for activities and a picnic. Sounds fun. The weather forecast is really good for that day. Our "on the land program" also starts this week. During April and May the students are taken out on the land for hunting. This year, the girls are able to go for the first time. Yeah! For those girls who do not want to go out on the land, there is seal skin preparation, traditional cooking and other activities at school.

Beautiful Clyde River as seen from our walk to the airport.
Crystal enjoying the warm sunshine.

Some views out over the sea ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment