Thursday, June 18, 2009

Home At Last

I can't believe that it has been a month since I last posted. I hope I still have some readers left. What an eventful month! I need to write about the finish of the school year before I move on to the summer. It was great. There was the usual stuff, awards day, meetings about next year. etc. The highlight was the fishing derby/picnic. We went out to a crack in the sea ice and everybody competed for the largest fish caught. There was picnic with hot dogs and hot chocolate, but the great treat was cariboo. Our principal made cariboo stew and there as also fried, dried and raw cariboo to choose from. I stuck to the hot dogs.
Once the fish started appearing on the ice, beautiful white gulls appeared by the dozens in the sky. I think they are glaucous gulls, I am hoping that Clare from The House and Other Arctic Musings will let me know if that's correct.
Some fishing shots.



Another exciting event - I covered the Governor General's visit to Clyde River for the Northern News Service (story and photos). She was warm, charming, and everybody loved her.



We left Clyde River (10 teachers and a nurse) on June 9. We were really lucky, no fog. We all got out with all our luggage, pets, etc. Crystal and I travelled back to Nova Scotia with 2 dogs and 3 cats. Crazy trip, but lots of laughs and nearly missed connections.
So, back in Nova Scotia and it's amazing to be home. I took care of some stuff at home and am on the road again. I am writing this at the airport in Halifax, on my way to London for three weeks. I am going to take a digital SLR photography course, work on my Travel Writing course and have a great vacation. I have rented a flat in Notting Hill and can't wait for the contrast of arctic hamlet to huge city. More about that later.
I just came from a wonderful visit with my brother and his family. They treated me to a lobster dinner and lots of luxurious R&R.

Mark, Rose and my nephew Keane.

No comments:

Post a Comment