Thursday, September 24, 2009

Off and Running

Photos from the Terry Fox walk.


Winter has begun in Clyde River. The temperature today is -3, there is some snow on the ground and more forecast for today. I also noticed some ice starting to form on the bay yesterday and the kids were skating on a shallow pond in town. The daylight is shrinking; today the sunrise and sunset will be exactly 12 hours apart to the minuite (6:26, 18:26). It feels different this year, because I know what to expect.
It has been such a busy school year so far. I feel like I hit the ground running in mid August and haven't stopped since. I have a great group of kids this year - some new ones and some from last year. My kids stay with me from year to year. They will graduate once they have accumulated enough credits. Three of my students from last year will be graduating next month. Our whole class is very excited about this. We ordered a suit for Kevin from the Sears website today. Everbody had lots of opinions about sizing, colours, etc. Another of my students from last year dropped by to have a look at prom dresses in the catalogue.
I am coordinating the graduation again this year. It was one of the high points of last year for me. Last year we had 3 grads, this year we have 12! So, I have been busy ordering grad rings and caps and gowns and fundraising with the kids. We have invited a number of special guests and will set the date according to their availability, probably mid-October.


A grade 9 student poses for a photo for her entry to the Dream Job contest.


3 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed your blog. I'm considering teaching in the Arctic, I was hoping you'd be willing to answer some questions I had. You can reach me at steven.joseph.lee@gmail.com Just drop me a line and I'll reply with my questions.

    All the best,
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I second that. You should tell us how you found the job and a little more about work opportunities up there, it seems there is actually very little information out there.

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a pleasure to read this blog. I send you a little from the sun here 27C today in Brno!

    ReplyDelete