Thursday, August 12, 2010
Northern Migration
Once again I'm at the airport in Halifax waiting to board the first flight of my journey back to Resolute. An amazing summer that honestly could not have been better. I'm certain that most people (especially teachers) look forward to summer break. Northern teachers are crazy to get home in June. We plan like mad, trying to fit in an impossible amount of southern living in 7 or 8 weeks. From the minute we get off the plane at the end of the school year, we live in a whirlwind of seeing people, experiencing everything we felt deprived of during the long polar winter and fitting in the dentist and other medical appointments. Our two new teachers Joe and Lindsay even managed to fit in a wedding! From the time we get home we're already packing for the trip back. We've got the long list of things we want to bring back up north, which for most of us, includes treats for the kids we work with. The enormous expectations we carry off the plane in June can weigh down the summer. Going into my third year in the Arctic I am learning to let go of much of that and just enjoy everything that comes along. My unexpected trip to New York was wildly enjoyable, as was time spent hanging out with an old buddy on his whale watch vessel. I know I've written this before, and I'm sure I will again, but one of the great side effects of the arctic living experience is the magnified enjoyment of what I once considered ordinary - trees and grass rank highly these days. So, after a perfect vacation, I'm very excited about getting back to Resolute. I can't wait for that first breath of arctic air. I love schools, have since I entered my first one at the age of five. The start of the school year feels like New Year's and I can't wait to see the kids and get the year started. Here are a few shots from my whale watching trips of the Bay of Fundy this summer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI'm currently working on my B.Ed, and I'm very interested in becoming a teacher in Northern Canada. Do most teachers (high school level) teach many subjects and grade levels in Nunavut?
-Matt
Hi Matt,
ReplyDeleteThat deoends on the community. In our school 2 teachers are teaching all the subjects from 8-12. In the larger schools this will be somewhat different, but, in general, you can expect to teach many grades and subjects. Many times the jobs are advertised as "High School Generalist."
You may know this already, but the job postings for Nunavut can be found on the Education Canada website. Good luck!
Deborah
Hello again,
ReplyDeleteDo you know what are some of the major differences between teaching in Nunavut and NWT? I'm actually interested in teaching in both Nunavut and NWT, and I'm trying to figure out which territory is best for me.
One other question, my university offers an international practicum option where I can go to Thailand and teach Language Arts, Science, and Math according to Manitoba's curriculum at a private school. Do you think that would improve my chances of landing a job in Nunavut? I was thinking that it would help me because I would be teaching a variety of subjects instead of just one.
Thanks again,
-Matt
Hello again, Matt:
ReplyDeleteSorry, I don't know what the differences are between the two territories. The practicum in Thailand sounds wonderful. It would be good experience to teach a lot of subjects. Also, there might be some ESL involved and that would be beneficial for teaching in Nunavut. Besides, Thailand is fantastic (but somewhat politically unstable at the moment?)
Best wishes,
Deborah