Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Guardians Of The Arctic

On Monday we had a really exciting special event at the school. Brigadier- General David Millar (Commander, Joint Task Force North) came to town to inspect the Clyde River Canadian Rangers and Junior Rangers. The Canadian Rangers are reserve members of the Canadian Forces. They were established in 1947 to protect Canadian sovereignty in remote areas by reporting unusual incidents, providing local expertise and knowledge as well as assisting with search and rescue efforts. There are around 4,200 Canadian Rangers in 165 communities across Canada. Many of our students are Junior Rangers and it was thrilling to see the pride on their faces when General Millar described the Clyde River Rangers as "the best in the north."

Some "old timers," as the younger men called them. General Millar posed so I could photograph him with some of our female student Junior Rangers. The local Rangers commander is recognized for his efforts.


Another group shot with the general.
Although it is still very cold, the quickly-lengthening daylight makes it feel like spring. It is so nice to walk to school in the sunlight. I plan to get out and take some pictures this weekend. A great mail day today! I received my Nunavut health card that I applied for in August and a birth certificate for one of my students. Now he can apply for a social insurance number. Yeah!!!

4 comments:

  1. Deborah, what a great post about The Canadian Rangers. As a Reservist myself I can tell you that we are all very respectful of the work that the Rangers do to protect Canada's claim on the North, and the work that they do to help those of us from the south when we go up there to do training. Great story, and great photos. We miss you! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,
    It's so good to hear from you. I wrote that post with you and Craig in mind, so I'm glad you caught it. Can't wait to see everyone in June,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Deborah, I just spent the last hour+ reading your blog. My first time reading any blogs. Found your site in 'Coastal Life'. Really enjoy reading anything you write. I've said countless times you were the best gueat speaker our school has ever had.(Kristen's graduation)Anyway... I've always wanted to go north for a visit and now that i have read your stories I know that I 'AM' going someday. Enjoy the reat of your spring. - Lavena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Deborah, to echo Alex - what a great post! So few Canadians realize who the Rangers are and what they do for Canada. Most don't understand that without Rangers, the North would be "wide open". They ask for very little and give a disproportinate effort. Looking forward to seeing you in June. Craig

    ReplyDelete